Our Town - Stuff That Happens in the Play
Stuff That Happens in the Play
• The scene opens in Act I; Daily Life, where the Stage Manager introduces a simple morning in the small town of Grover's Corners in 1901.
• The Gibbs and Webb families, next door neighbors, send their children George and Emily to school.
• In Act II: Love and Marriage, George and Emily nervously prepare for their wedding three years later.
• The Stage Manager flashes back to George and Emily's junior year; over an ice cream soda, they discuss George's pride, his future, and their shared love.
• Before the wedding, both George and Emily say they aren't ready to get married, but their families encourage them to wed.
• Act III: Death and Dying, realizations, reliving, and funerals ensue.