Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) - Stuff That Happens In The Play
STUFF THAT HAPPENS
• Scholar Constance Ledbelly works on her doctoral dissertation on Othello and Romeo and Juliet. She believes these works were originally written by an unknown author, a fact she can prove if she decodes a manuscript.
• Professor Claude Night, Constance's longtime crush, enters her office, chides her for her dissertation, and tells her that he's taken the job in Oxford that Constance had her heart set on.
• He leaves, and Constance begins to throw her possessions, including the manuscript, into the wastebasket.
• Constance is sucked into the wastebasket and transported straight into the action of Othello, where Othello resolves to kill Desdemona. Constance intervenes.
• Constance resolves to find the character of the "Wise Fool," who typically helps secure the happy end of a Shakespearean work.
• Iago works against Constance, turning Desdemona against her, claiming Constance seeks Othello's love, and also pilfering a page of the manuscript.
• In the midst of a swordfight, Constance reads the manuscript page and is transported into Romeo and Juliet, just in time to prevent Romeo from killing Tybalt.
• Both Romeo and Juliet mistake Constance for a boy, and fall in love with her.
•A ghost, multiple murder attempts, gender-bending, and a turtle named Hector ensue.