The Two Gentlemen of Verona - Stuff That Happens In The Play
STUFF THAT HAPPENS IN THE PLAY
- Valentine and Proteus, the two gentlemen of Verona, part company. Valentine departs for Milan leaving his lovesick friend, Proteus, at home to court Julia
- Julia pretends to her servant, Lucetta, that she has no interest in Proteus even though she is madly in love with him.
- Proteus's father, Antonio, decides that his son needs some worldly experiences and sends Proteus to join Valentine in Milan.
- Meanwhile, Valentine has fallen in love with Silvia, the Duke of Milan's daughter; however, the Duke wants his daughter to marry the rich Sir Thurio
- Proteus and Julia exchange rings before Proteus departs for Milan
- Proteus's servant Launce, agonizes over leaving his beloved dog, Crab, behind.
- Proteus arrives in Milan, where he reunites with his buddy Valentine and meets Silvia. Valentine tells Proteus of his plans to elope with Silvia.
- Back in Verona, Julia decides to disguise herself as a boy and follow Proteus to Milan.
- Silvia's father, the Duke, learns of Valentine's secret plan to marry his daughter. He banishes Valentine, who flees to the forest with his servant, Speed.
- Julia arrives in Milan, outlaws capture Valentine in the Forest, and Silvia flees to the Forest to seek Valentine.
- Hot pursuit, misbehavior, and reconciliation ensue.