- Stuff that happens In the play . . .
Love o'ercomes all, and I that love obey.
stuff that happens BEFORE the play…
• Anthony and Ferdinand, the eldest two of the three Golding brothers, see Phyllis Flower, a fair maid, at The Exchange, and fall in love with her.
stuff that happens DURING the play…
• Phyllis and her woman, Ursula, are accosted and robbed by two outlaws. Cripple, a patternmaker, attempts to aid them, but is himself attacked. Frank Golding, the youngest of the Golding brothers, intervenes and protects the women.
• Frank, who didn’t understand Anthony’s and Ferdinand’s love for Phyllis, kisses her hand and immediately falls in love with her.
• Frank devises a plan to trick Ferdinand and Anthony into thinking Phyllis has rejected them. With the help of Cripple, who had pledged him a favor, Frank cleverly intercepts their love letters to Phyllis.
• Upon speaking to Phyllis, Ferdinand and Anthony realize they’d been deceived. They go separately to Phyllis’s parents, one to her father and one to her mother, asking for her hand. Phyllis’s parents unknowingly pledge her to both brothers.
• Meanwhile, Phyllis has fallen for the Cripple, who has realized her feelings. Frank, disguised as the Cripple, goes to woo Phyllis.
• More letters, tricks, and confused family members ensue.