Romeo and Juliet - STUFF THAT HAPPENS IN THE PLAY
STUFF THAT HAPPENS IN THE PLAY
- Members of two feuding families (the Capulets and the Montagues) brawl in the city streets of Verona.
- The Prince promises death to those who "disturb our streets again."
- Romeo, the only son of Montague, shows up after the brawl professing, to his cousin Benvolio, unrequited love for Rosaline.
- Paris, kinsman to the Prince, wants to marry Juliet, the only child of Capulet; Juliet's father tells Paris that Juliet is too young to marry but invites Paris to a Capulet party and encourages him to woo his daughter and win her love.
- Benvolio persuades Romeo to crash the Capulet party so that Romeo will see women other than Rosaline.
- Mercutio, another kinsman to the Prince and Romeo's good friend, leads Romeo and Benvolio in masks to the party.
- Tybalt, Juliet's cousin, recognizes Romeo at the party and wants to throw him out; Capulet orders Tybalt to leave Romeo alone; Tybalt vows revenge.
- Romeo meets Juliet at the party; they share a sonnet and a kiss, and quickly fall in love.
- After the party, Romeo escapes from Mercutio and Benvolio; he overhears Juliet at her balcony declaring her passion for him.
- From the balcony, Juliet tells Romeo, "If thy love be honorable, thy purpose marriage..."
- Romeo tells Friar Lawrence of his new love and asks the Friar to marry them today.
- Secret nuptials, fatal swordplay, banishment, potions, poisons, and tragedy ensue.