The American Shakespeare Center is seeking a Costume Shop Assistant for their 2020 Summer season from May 4 to September 12. The applicant would assist the Costume Shop Manager in their duties: taking notes as needed, running the shop as needed, assisting with interns, managing budgets, and pulling and building the Summer/Fall and Tour shows as needed. Each show is a combination of pulled and built costumes, the exact ratio varies depending on style and period of production.
Our beautiful theatre is the world’s only recreation of Shakespeare’s indoor theatre and uses original staging conditions, relying on costumes and props to tell the technical elements of the stories.
Compensation includes a per diem. Housing may be available.
Costume Shop Assistant Requirements:
- Basic sewing skills (buttons, basic hand sewing, basic home machine sewing, serging)
- Microsoft Word/ Excel
- Enthusiasm for costumes and Shakespeare
- Positive attitude
- Ability to follow directions and assemble garments based on instructions given.
- Familiarity with common alterations (pant alterations, hems, sleeves)
- Work with reasonable speed to complete assignments in a timely fashion, our build periods are not long
- Familiarity with sewing machines/irons
- Cutting/Pattern layout experience
- Familiarity with period design
Duties Expected of Costume Shop Assistant
- Work with Shop Manager/Designer to assemble builds for production
- Working with the Interns to understand fitting notes
- Assist the Costume Shop Manager with budgets and paperwork
- Prep fabric for cleaning/press fabric in preparation for cutting
- Flatline/Serge pieces of garment before assembly
- Assist Shop Manager to transport costumes between Costume shop and Theatre
- Assist Designers and Lead Stitchers to restock/return overpull costumes to stock
- Work with Designers/ Lead Stitchers on crafting/altering costume craft pieces for productions, including but not limited to hats, crowns, gloves, footwear, leather pieces, armor and chainmail.
- Assist with dress rehearsals
- Assist with Inventory of the costume storage
- Work with Wardrobe/Designers to ensure everything is labeled correctly before load-in
- Performs all other work- related tasks requested by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Reports to the Costume Shop Manager.
Submit a complete application with cover letter, resume, and design sample or portfolio.
No phone calls or e-mails please. Thank you!