The American Shakespeare Center (ASC), a $4.2 million destination theatre and educational hub seeks experienced candidates for the position of Director of Marketing and Communications to lead the marketing strategy at a pivotal point in the life of the organization that will shape its future. Now in its 31st year, having successfully launched the first artistic season of award-winning new Artistic Director, Ethan McSweeny, and currently working with the DeVos Institute of Arts Management on the creation of a new five-year plan that will act as a roadmap for achieving new success, ASC is poised for explosive growth.
With the help of a full-time marketing staff of five, the next Director of Marketing and Communications will create the strategy that translates ASC’s current momentum into an effective force to galvanize and excite new and returning audiences to its one-of-a-kind Blackfriars Playhouse, to its expanding classrooms, and on its long-running national tour. Reporting to the Managing Director and in collaboration with the Artistic Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications serves as a member of ASC’s senior leadership team. The Director of Marketing and Communications will also lead the strategy for promotion of Shakespeare’s New Contemporaries, ASC’s industry shaping, ground-breaking initiative to create a companion series of plays with each title in Shakespeare's canon.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Create and oversee the implementation of the strategy for all marketing, public relations, publications, and sales programs to raise $2.3+ million in earned income through single ticket, season pass, merchandise, and bar sales annually.
- Collaborate in the planning and implementation of all marketing and public relations to raise approximately $1 million in earned revenue through Educational programming and ASC on Tour.
- Shape public perception of the theatre through execution of brand identity in print communications, publications, electronic media, media relations, public events, and physical spaces.
- Develop and manage annual Marketing expense budgets.
- Work as part of Senior Management Team on short and long-term strategic issues.
- Lead team of staff, vendors, and consultants to achieve annual and long-range goals.
- Cultivate an innovative working environment that enables growth in new technology and marketing practices to ensure ASC’s continued vitality as a national center at the intersection of art and scholarship.
- Develop community ties and serve on committees to further enhance the profile of arts within the city and state.
- Lead initiatives to achieve goals defined in the Center’s strategic plan, including long-range audience development goals and strategies.
- Expand public relations efforts to increase national profile, as well as increase local awareness of the Center’s national and international programs like Shakespeare’s New Contemporaries, ASC National Tour, and the Blackfriars Conference.
- Collaborate with internal departments to improve the patrons’ experience of the Center’s programs and physical space.
- Collaborate with the Development, Education, and Artistic Departments to integrate organizational strategy and customer relationship management in marketing and fundraising efforts, and with the Box Office to increase sales and ensure excellent customer service.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Marketing Task Force of the Board of Trustees.
- Excellent managerial and team building ability
- Effective communication skills
- Strategic and analytical skills
- Ability to work at the conceptual level as well as the implementation phase
- A genuine interest in and knowledge of the theatre
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with PatronManager CRM or other similar system(s)
The successful candidate will have 5-10 years’ experience in marketing, communications, or a related field.
They will have proven initiative and will be a goal-oriented innovative thinker with the ability to lead
through positive example. The American Shakespeare Center is dedicated to a diverse and inclusive
workplace. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Competitive salary plus health insurance and paid time off.
Qualified applicants should provide cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and two writing samples via the “Apply” button below.
The American Shakespeare Center recovers the joys and accessibility of Shakespeare’s theatre, language, and
humanity by exploring the English Renaissance stage and its practices through performance and education.
ASC performs year-round in the Blackfriars Playhouse, the world’s only re-creation of Shakespeare’s indoor
theatre; tours nationally; and maintains robust educational offerings. ASC values and supports collaboration,
inclusion, and work/life balance. Our home in Staunton, Virginia supports these values with a livable,
walkable downtown; low cost of living; diverse arts opportunities; easy access to cities like Richmond,
Charlotte, and Washington, DC; and abundant outdoor activities in the surrounding Blue Ridge and
No phone calls or direct emails. Thank you.Apply