The American Shakespeare Center is now seeking a Stitcher/Wardrobe Crew for their Holiday season from October 23rd to December 31st to work on our productions of A Christmas Carol and Every Christmas Story Ever Told.
The applicant would help pull and build the two shows, as well as running a shows with wardrobe during December. There is housing provided, as well as per diem.
Each show is a combination of pulled and built costumes, the exact ratio varies depending on style and period of production. Come build beautiful costumes with us, for one of the most unique theatres in the US. Our beautiful theatre is the world’s only recreation of Shakespeare’s indoor theatre and uses original staging conditions, relying on costumes and props to tell the technical elements of the stories.
Costume Shop Intern/Stitcher Requirements:
- Basic sewing skills (buttons, basic hand sewing, basic home machine sewing)
- Enthusiasm for costumes and Shakespeare
- Positive attitude
- Ability to follow directions and assemble garments based on instructions given.
- Familiarity with common alterations (pant alterations, hems, sleeves)
- Work with reasonable speed to complete assignments in a timely fashion, our build periods are not long
- Familiarity with sewing machines/irons
- Cutting/Pattern layout experience
- Familiarity with period design
Duties Expected of Intern/Stitchers
- Work with Shop Manager/Designer to assemble builds for production
- Prep fabric for cleaning/press fabric in preparation for cutting
- Flatline/Serge pieces of garment before assembly
- Assist Shop Manager to transport costumes between Costume shop and Theatre
- Assist Designers and Lead Stitchers to restock/return overpull costumes to stock
- Work with Designers/ Lead Stitchers on crafting/altering costume craft pieces for productions, including but not limited to hats, crowns, gloves, footwear, leather pieces, armor and chainmail.
- Assist with dress rehearsals
- Assist with Laundry/ shows
- Work with Wardrobe/Designers to ensure everything is labeled correctly before load-in
- Performs all other work related tasks requested by the Costume Shop Manager.
- Reports to the Costume Shop Manager.
Submit a complete application with cover letter and resume.
No phone calls or emails, please.