The American Shakespeare Center is seeking interns/stitchers for its summer build season. From April to September, we build and produce our Summer/Fall Repertory Season and our Tour Season, 7 shows in total. Each show has a 3-4 week build period and a dress rehearsal before preview performances. Each show is a combination of pulled and built costumes, the exact ratio varies depending on style and period of production. Come build beautiful costumes with us, for one of the most unique theatres in the US.
Our theatre is the world’s only recreation of Shakespeare’s indoor theatre and uses Shakespeare’s Staging Conditions, relying on costumes and props to tell the technical elements of the stories.
Internship Term Dates
Start/end dates are flexible by show/availability. Generally, contracts will fall between April 1 and September 1.
$250/week, housing provided
Costume Shop Intern/Stitcher Requirements
- Basic sewing skills (buttons, basic hand sewing, basic home machine sewing)
- Enthusiasm for costumes and Shakespeare
- Positive attitude
- Ability to follow directions and assemble garments based on instructions given.
- Familiarity with common alterations (pant alterations, hems, sleeves)
- Work with reasonable speed to complete assignments in a timely fashion, our build periods are not long
Helpful but not necessary:
- Cutting/Pattern layout experience
- Familiarity with period design
- Familiarity with industrial sewing machines/irons
Duties Expected of Intern/Stitchers:
- Work with Designer/Assistant to the Designer to assemble builds for production
- Prep fabric for cleaning/press fabric in preparation for cutting
- Flatline/Serge pieces of garment before assembly
- Assist Designers and Assistants to transport costumes between Costume shop and Theatre
- Assist Designers and Assistants to restock/return overpull costumes to stock
- Work with Designers/Assistants on crafting/altering costume craft pieces for productions, including but not limited to hats, crowns, gloves, footwear, leather pieces, armor, and chainmail.
- Assist with dress rehearsals as needed
- Work with Wardrobe/Designers to ensure everything is labeled correctly before load-in