Now Seeking: Actors To tell the stories of all of us
The American Shakespeare Center looks for classically-trained actors who also are strong singers and musicians. Our actors play and sing music before and during all ASC shows. Musical ability is not, however, a requirement for employment.
We look for actors of all shapes, sizes, colors, and abilities. We frequently cast women as male characters and sometimes men as female characters. We cast actors of color in any/all roles. We believe that Shakespeare’s plays tell the stories of all of us and we want our casting to reflect that.
AMERICAN SHAKESPEARE CENTER 2023 SEASON AUDITION ANNOUNCEMENT UNION and NON-UNION
The American Shakespeare Center is seeking actors for its 2023 Seasons of rotating repertory productions. The American Shakespeare Center is committed to inclusive casting. We welcome performers of all ages, races, ethnicities, gender-identities, sexual orientations, and disabilities.
Auditions will be held at the Blackfriars Playhouse 10 S Market St, Staunton, VA 24401 on Monday, October 3rd through Tuesday, October 4th from 9am-5pm. Audition slots for October 4th will open once all slots are filled for Monday, October 3rd.
COVID Vaccine card OR proof of negative COVID test taken within the last 72hrs must be presented for in person auditions
Auditions for this season will be held at The American Shakespeare Center on our mainstage.
Video auditions are also accepted.
In-Person Audition Requirements:
Sign Up Here
- Applicants should prepare one Shakespeare monologue and 16 bars of a song or proficiency with a musical instrument.
- The combined pieces should not exceed 3 minutes.
- Please slate at the beginning of the audition, stating your name and the pieces you’ll be doing.
- Please bring your headshot/resume to the audition.
Video Submission Requirements:
- Applicants should prepare one Shakespeare monologue.
- Applicants can audition with an additional piece of their choice or 16 bars of a song or proficiency with a musical instrument.
- Along with a headshot and resume, please submit your video via YouTube, Vimeo or Google Drive link (make sure privacy settings allow access).
- Send audition video link, along with above materials attached, to email@example.com with subject line: ASC SEASON AUDITION SUBMISSION. Please submit all necessary items before Oct 4, 2022.
- For productions where race or ethnicity is central to the show’s plot or themes, casting will reflect those requirements.
If you have questions, please contact ARTISTIC@AMERICANSHAKESPEARECENTER.COM
Year Round Submissions