Is your play ready to go?
Applications are now being accepted through August 1, 2018. We’re looking for submissions that are inspired by or in conversation with Othello; Henry IV, Part 2; A Midsummer Night’s Dream; or Cymbeline. Check this site for updates about future rounds. Have questions about the application process? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or email us.
Before submitting, confirm that your play meets our qualifications:
- The play must be written for a cast of 10-12 actors.
- The play must be able to be performed with minimal sets.
- The play must be able to be performed with universal (shared) lighting.
- The play must be able to be performed with any and all music and sound effects created in real time, unplugged, and by members of the acting troupe.
- The play must be 2(ish) hours long.
- The play must be inspired by or in conversation with Othello; Henry IV, Part 2; A Midsummer Night’s Dream; or Cymbeline.
- The play must have not yet had a professional production and preferably would remain unproduced through July 1, 2020. (Questions about this? Shoot us an e-mail).
Prepare your Application:
To smoothly navigate the process, we encourage you to prepare your materials before beginning the application. To that end:
- Remove your name and any contact information from the script. Remove any agent or representation’s name and contact information from the script.
- Include a Character Breakdown at the start of the script. The breakdown must include age and gender and may include any other information you’d like us to know. If your play contains more than 12 characters, please be sure to include information about actor doubling.
- Title the document with the title of your play.
- Save your script as a PDF or Word document.
- Optional: You may upload any supporting materials that may be related to the play; please be sure to name each file “[Title of Play]_Additional Content”
Prepare the application form:
In addition to contact information and basic information about the play, you will also be asked for answers to the following questions. (Please note: each question has a 4,000 character limit – including spaces):
- Playwright bio.
- Play synopsis: please provide a brief overview of the plot of your play.
- How does your play engage with Shakespeare’s work?
- Optional: Play History: If your play has had any development or production history, please briefly tell us about it.
(If you are unable to access the application form, please navigate back to this page and follow this link)