Is your play ready to go?
Thanks to all who applied to the first round of Shakespeare’s New Contemporaries! Selected plays will be announced in June 2018.
The next round of plays will be accepted from June 1 – August 1, 2018. In that round, we’re looking for submissions that are inspired by or in conversation with Othello; Henry IV, Part 2; A Midsummer Night’s Dream; or Cymbeline. Check this site for updates about future rounds. Have questions about the application process? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or email us.
Before submitting, confirm that your play meets our qualifications:
- The play must be written for a cast of 10-12 actors.
- The play must be able to be performed with minimal sets.
- The play must be able to be performed with universal (shared) lighting.
- The play must be 2(ish) hours long.
- The play must be inspired by or in conversation with Othello; Henry IV, Part 2; A Midsummer Night’s Dream; or Cymbeline.
- The play must have not yet had a professional production and preferably would remain unproduced through July 1, 2020. (Questions about this? Shoot us an e-mail).
Prepare your materials
To smoothly navigate the process, we encourage you to prepare your materials before beginning the application. To that end:
- Remove your name and any contact information from the script. Remove any agent or representation’s name and contact information from the script.
- Include a Character Breakdown at the start of the script. Please include age and gender in the breakdown, as well as any other information you’d like us to know. If your play has more than 12 characters, we recommend (though don’t require) that your Character Breakdown also include suggested doubling.
- Title the document with the title of your play.
- Save your script as a PDF or Word document.
You will also have the opportunity (though you are not required) to upload a bio or resume; please make sure the document is titled with your name. Additionally, you may upload any supporting materials that may be related to the play; please be sure to name each file “[Title of Play]_Additional Content”. If you’d like a comprehensive overview of the application form, please download the Application Preplist. (This preplist reflects the Round One application process and is for reference purposes only).
(If you are unable to access the application form, please navigate back to this page and follow this link)