Greetings, all! Below, find detailed information about two of our most special ASC Theatre Camp events: the Showcase performance on Saturday, July 27 and the Final Performance Festival Weekend on August 4-5. This post is packed with info, so please read the whole thing carefully (and perhaps bookmark it for ease of future reference).
The Showcase will be at 7:30PM on Saturday, June 27 in Hunt West (#19 on the MBU campus map), where we had our parent meeting on Orientation Sunday. Some limited parking is available in the SKY I parking lot directly behind Hunt, and more parking is available in the SKY II lot directly behind that. The Showcase itself will last about an hour, and you are invited to join us afterwards for an ice cream social with our beloved cast of campers. The Showcase is free and open to the public — no tickets needed — with general admission seating; first-come, first-served.
Can’t make it to the Showcase in person? Never fear! We’ll be live-streaming the performance on our Facebook and Instagram feeds – tune in there to join us virtually. Edited footage will go on our YouTube channel at the end of the summer.
Final Performance Festival
Celebrate your camper’s theatrical achievements with us during the Final Performance Festival Weekend, August 4-5. Please use the ASCTC 2019 Festival RSVP and DVD Order form to:
- RSVP for the ASC Theatre Camp 2019 Session 2 Final Performance Festival
- The Festival is free and open to the public, general admission seating, first-come, first-served.
- Please RSVP so we know how many people to expect.
- Include yourself in your party, but not your camper – we’ve got them counted!
- Let us know your dietary restrictions, so we can plan our menu accordingly and inclusively.
- Order DVD copies of the Final Performance Festival footage
- A reminder that we will make the edited footage available for everyone to stream for free on the ASC Theatre Camp YouTube channel
- DVD copies are $15 each
- Please fill out the form no later than Wednesday, July 31.
THE BIG DAY: Sunday, August 4
The Shows – Blackfriars Playhouse, 10am-1:30pm
Campers perform their shows for their adoring public (including friends and family) in the Blackfriars Playhouse at 10 S. Market Street on Sunday morning:
- 9:30am – HOUSE OPEN
- 9:45am – Welcome & Camp Song
- 10am – Richard III
- 11-11:15am – Break #1 (We will offer pre-prepared, complimentary coffee and snacks in Upper Lobby)
- 11:15am – The Taming of the Shrew
- 12:15-12:30pm – Break #2
- 12:30pm – The Roaring Girl
- 1:30pm – ASCOTS induction and Group Pictures
The Reception – the Wharf, 2-4pm
After the performances, campers and parents reunite at the Celebration Reception, held in the Wharf at 19 W Johnson Street — home to Mary Baldwin University’s Shakespeare & Performance graduate program.
- Hors d’oeuvres and drinks (CASH BAR!) at the MBU Shakespeare & Performance Wharf Studio and Bar to celebrate camp and your campers’ accomplishments
The Camp Command Performance – Blackfriars Playhouse, 4:30-7:30pm
After food and remarks, everyone returns to the Playhouse for a special 5PM “Camp Command” performance of Antony & Cleopatra by the ASC resident troupe, dedicated to the ASC Theatre Camp.
BOOK YOUR TICKETS
All camp families receive two free tickets to the Camp Command performance, with the option to purchase additional tickets for any performance during the final weekend of the session at a discounted rate. To reserve your tickets, contact Liz Bernardo-Stewart at email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: Antony & Cleopatra contains adult themes, and the staging of our production reflects the intimacy and violence present in the text. Please plan your visit accordingly. This show may not be suitable for young children. We will prepare campers for the adult content of our shows ahead of time, but recognize that parents and siblings won’t have the benefit of our instruction. We encourage you to peruse the text before coming and determine for yourselves whether you would like to attend.
If you chose not to attend the Camp Command performance on Sunday evening, you may use your complimentary camp tickets for the Saturday evening performance of Julius Caesar, instead. Please coordinate with Liz Bernardo-Stewart on all ticket matters.
Campers will take the stage at 4:30pm to perform a four-song set of pre-preshow music before the resident troupe actors begin their regular Antony & Cleopatra preshow music at 4:45pm. After performing, campers join their parents in the audience for the performance.
The Final Night
Sunday night, parents are free to explore the Staunton downtown nightlife while their campers return to the dorm for their final night of camaraderie: cleaning, packing, sobbing, and sonnets. Campers and parents will reunite for move-out in the morning.
WHERE TO STAY?
Staunton offers many accommodation options for parents looking to explore the town. We highly recommend that parents book their rooms for the final weekend of camp as far ahead of time as possible.
- The Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center— located right next door to the Blackfriars Playhouse, the Stonewall is the perfect home base for camp families during festival weekend. Mention the ASC when booking to claim their discounted rate of $109/night!
- The Frederick House – a charming bed and breakfast located across the street from Mary Baldwin University.
- Blackburn Inn
- Tru Hotel by Hilton
- Howard Johnson
MOVE-OUT: Monday, August 5
Say farewell! Grab a bite in the PEG Lobby before you head out. Move-out is between 9-10:30am.
- Don’t forget to hit the Registration Station in the PEG Lobby to Re-Up for ASCTC 2020 on your way out to lock-in this year’s price (including a rebate for the $150 tuition deposit), skip the application process, and secure your camper’s spot next summer.