DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
The Director of Development will be responsible for directing all fundraising efforts. The position will report to the Board of Trustees and will work closely with the members of the Engagement Team* and the Management Group (Engagement, Production, Programming, and Operations) to accomplish the fundraising goals of American Shakespeare Center (ASC).
- Plans, designs, and implements overall fundraising plan, schedule and, development activities, working in concert with the Engagement Team and the Board of Trustees Development Committee.
- Implements and directs all giving campaigns including annual fund, special campaigns, capital campaigns, matching gifts, major gifts, sponsorships, and other ASC-related philanthropic activities.
- Oversees planning and implementation of special events.
- Expands, formalizes, and promotes a comprehensive planned-giving program.
- Identifies compelling areas for potential corporate foundation investment or corporate sponsorship and cultivates and develops prospective corporate supporters.
- Arranges major donor visits and follow-up in collaboration with the Management Group and the Board Development Committee, as appropriate.
- Advances the relationship between ASC and the external community.
*The Engagement Team is comprised of Associate Director of Marketing & Sales, Development & Engagement Manager, Engagement Associate, Group Sales & Engagement Coordinator, Patron Services Coordinator, Patron Services Associate, Social Media Fellow, Senior House Manager,
- Maintains grant portfolio and writes or directs the writing of all grants, updates, and final reports, with input where needed from key ASC staff.
- Manages grant calendar, including reporting and submission deadlines.
- Researches and submits new grant requests, as appropriate, and with input and assistance from other ASC staff.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES RELATIONS
- Works with the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees and the Engagement Team to develop and recommend to the Board strategies to meet fundraising goals.
- Works with the Development Committee Chair to develop and create Development reports to the Board.
- Works with the Development Committee to support both current and former Board engagement and stewardship.
DEVELOPMENT OFFICE INFRASTRUCTURE
- Works with the Director of Finance and the Engagement Team to develop an annual development budget as part of the ASC annual budget development process.
- Supervises and assists with timely, accurate donor and gift record-keeping and acknowledgement.
- Coordinates and assists with Development research activities.
- Oversees the management of the donor database and all records, files, and gift processing.
- Supervises the Development Team including the Engagement Associate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of development experience
- Demonstrated ability in planning and executing fundraising plans and strategies
- Demonstrated success in identifying prospects, relationship building, and securing gifts from individuals, foundations, and government agencies
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Passion for the performing arts
- Collegial and team oriented in work style
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Creative in approach to job duties
Director of Development must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 before beginning work.
$60,000 annually with competitive leave and benefits. Start date is ASAP.
The American Shakespeare Center values and supports collaboration, teamwork, mutual respect, trust, inclusion, and work/life balance. Our home in Staunton, Virginia supports these values with a livable, walkable downtown; low cost of living; diverse arts opportunities; easy access to cities like Richmond, Charlotte, and Washington, DC; and abundant outdoor activities in the surrounding Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Application for the Director of Development