Take your college Shakespeare experience to the next level.
The SHXcademy experience is a packed weekend with the American Shakespeare Center’s renowned Education team (including ASC co-founder and Shakespeare scholar, Ralph Alan Cohen, and Director of Education, Sarah Enloe) at the Blackfriars Playhouse. From engaging lectures to on-your-feet workshops to captivating performances, you will discover the infinite variety of choices within Shakespeare’s text.
Your questions, Answered.
How much does SHXcademy cost?
Registration is $200.
Are there places to stay nearby?
The Stonewall Jackson Hotel (right next door to the Blackfriars) offers a special rate for ASC education participants. Contact the hotel for more details.
Other budget-friendly hotels nearby include a Howard Johnson, Express Inn, Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Econo Lodge, and Quality Inn and Suites.
Get in touch. Our education assistant Liz Bernardo will be happy to hear from you.
Spring Break Session: Playing the Stage
March 8–10, 2018
Join us on the Blackfriars Playhouse stage to discover how the early modern stage directs the choices and actions available within Shakespeare’s text. Through active and engaging workshops, you will be challenged to evaluate and apply these staging conditions to both early modern and contemporary works.
Friday, March 8
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. – Arden of Faversham Rehearsal Observation (optional)
- 5:00 – 6:15 p.m. – Welcome Lecture with Dr. Ralph Alan Cohen
- 7:30 p.m. – Arden of Faversham
Saturday, March 9
- 9:00 – 9:30 a.m. – Critics Circle
- 9:30 – 10:45 a.m. – Embedded Stage Directions
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. – Special Effects
- 2:00 p.m. – The Merry Wives of Windsor
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. – Direct Address
- 7:30pm – Anne Page Hates Fun
Sunday, March 10
- 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. – Playing Shakespeare with Comedia
- 11:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Closing Lecture
- 2:00 p.m. – Henry IV, Part 1