The American Shakespeare Center is seeking a Costume Shop Manager for year-round employment. We have three seasons in residence producing 10 shows a year, repping two to five shows at a time and one touring season, with three to four shows. The Blackfriars Playhouse is the world’s only recreation of Shakespeare’s indoor theatre and uses Shakespeare’s Staging Conditions, relying on costumes and props to tell the technical elements of the stories.
Include but are not limited to:
- Oversee costume shop, and assist with fittings as needed.
- Assist designers with construction when needed to complete builds and to ensure costumes are as complete as possible before load in.
- Maintain costume shop supplies, notions, budget and equipment, scheduling yearly machine tune-ups before summer build season.
- Coordinate with wardrobe manager to ensure all pieces are labeled before load in.
- Supervise Costume Shop staff and arrange overhire when needed.
- Supervise interns and direct workflow that best supports build schedule.
- Coordinate costume fitting schedules, rehearsal needs, and performance notes with Stage Management in accordance with Equity rules
- Coordinate with Designers on purchases and materials.
- Collaborate with Wardrobe Manager for the smooth transition of costumes from shop to dress rehearsals.
- Attend dress rehearsals; work with Designers, Wardrobe Manager, Stage Management to ensure completion of costume notes
- Coordinate with Designers to ensure costume lists and care sheets are up to date and accurate.
- Coordinate with Wardrobe on season strikes and dry cleaning pickup/return.
- Attend and participate in production meetings
- Submit purchasing paperwork; consistently and accurately track costumes expenditures within budget and procedure parameters
- Oversee safety of those working in the costume shop. Actively participate in and promote a culture of job safety at all times.
- Provide support for special events or company projects as needed
- Research, acquire and maintain SDS for products stored and used in the costume shop.
- Coordinate with Wardrobe for strike and restock as needed throughout the season.
- Update and maintain stock organization as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, collaborative, communication, and leadership skills
- Ability to manage multiple, overlapping productions and projects, and personalities with grace. Experience with repertory settings a plus
- Mastery of costume construction, fabrication techniques; knowledge of cutting, draping and patterning, costume and fashion history
- Prior experience working with Equity actors; knowledge of AEA wardrobe guidelines
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience as Costume Shop Manager or equivalent
- Computer proficiency
- Basic wig styling and maintenance.
- Valid Driver’s license and vehicle.
$30,000 with benefits