American Shakespeare Center (ASC), a destination theatre and educational center located in Staunton, Virginia, seeks experienced candidates for the position of Costume Shop Manager/Resident Designer. The Costume Shop Manager/Resident Designer serves as a senior member of the ASC’s production team and manages all aspects of costume production, maintenance, and storage for up to 10 ASC productions each year.
- Collaborate with ASC artistic and production team to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation and implementation of the vision and direction for costumes.
- Supervise ASC costume shop employees and designers.
- Supervise ASC Wardrobe Manager.
- Design up to two ASC shows per year.
- Assist actors in costuming the Actors’ Renaissance Season shows from stock.
- Assist guest designers with costume construction and alterations.
- Manage build schedules, paying close attention to what is being constructed and out of what materials, and intervening when a stronger choice should be considered.
- Manage costume budget. Ensure all expenses are within approved costume budgets. Manage costume staff credit card. Provide credit card expense reports as required by ASC business office.
Approve designers’ purchases.
- Attend production meetings and take notes for costume team.
- Contribute insights into feasibility issues.
- Schedule and lead costume team meetings to make sure team is supported.
- Oversee hiring of costume shop employees and interns.
- Schedule fittings and act as liaison with stage managers.
- Take notes for designers during fittings, if needed.
- Collaborate with Wardrobe Manager for the smooth transition of costumes from shop to dress rehearsals.
- Attend dress rehearsals; work with designers, Wardrobe Manager, stage management to ensure completion of costume notes.
- Coordinate with designers to ensure costume lists and care sheets are up to date and accurate.
- Coordinate with Wardrobe Manager on season strikes and dry cleaning pickup/return.
- Oversee safety of those working in costume shop. Actively participate in and promote a culture of job safety at all times.
- Research, acquire and maintain MSDS for products stored and used in the costume shop.
- Update and maintain stock organization as needed.
- Assist Properties Master with soft-goods construction (curtains, banners, etc.) as needed.
- Provide support for special events or company projects as needed
Excellent managerial and team building ability.
Effective communication skills.
Costume design training and experience.
Computer and internet proficiency.
Ability to manage multiple, overlapping productions, projects, and personnel.
Mastery of costume construction, fabrication techniques; knowledge of cutting, draping and patterning; knowledge of costume and fashion history.
Wig styling and maintenance.
Valid Driver’s license and vehicle.
ASC has a large, well-equipped, costume shop (with natural light) two blocks from the Blackfriars Playhouse and a smaller shop in the theatre. ASC has extensive costume stock on site, ranging from Elizabethan/Jacobean to modern.
Costume Shop Manager/Resident Designer reports to the Associate Producing Director and works closely with stage management, designers, and actors.
The successful candidate should have professional design and shop management experience. They will be flexible with the ability to work independently and as part of a team, and will be able to work successfully under pressure and meet deadlines and goals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary is $684 per week. Position includes health insurance and paid time off.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Jay McClure, Associate Producing Director, via email at Jay.McClure@
The American Shakespeare Center values and supports collaboration, inclusion, and work/life balance. Our home in Staunton, Virginia supports these values with a livable, walkable downtown; low cost of living; diverse arts opportunities; easy access to cities like Richmond, Charlotte, and Washington, DC; and abundant outdoor activities in the surrounding Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains.