COSTUME SHOP MANAGER
The American Shakespeare Center (ASC), a destination theatre and educational center located in Staunton, Virginia, seeks experienced candidates for the position of Costume Shop Manager.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Supervise ASC costume shop employees and show designers. Maintain a clean and comfortable shop, fitting room, and additional work spaces as used.
- Assist show designers with costume construction and alterations.
- Assist technical director/properties master with soft-goods construction (curtains, banners, etc.).
- Manage build schedules.
- Attend production meetings and take notes for the costume team.
- Schedule and lead costume team meetings.
- Oversee hiring of costume shop employees and interns, working with the Production Manager.
- Schedule fittings and act as liaison with stage managers. Take notes for designers during fittings, if needed.
- Monitor and maintain costume stock.
- Determine best use of costume stock.
- Maintain costume shop equipment and supplies.
- Develop a list of strategic investment priorities, upgrades, and maintenance for the costume shop.
- Oversee costume budget. Ensure all expenses are within approved costume budget.
- Manage costume staff credit cards. Provide credit card expense reports as required by ASC Finance/Business Manager.
- When applicable, train volunteers to provide assistance to the ASC costume shop.
- Reports to Production Manager.
- Demonstrated interest and proficiency in costume construction, alteration, and clothing care techniques.
- Effective organizational, communication, and time-management abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple, overlapping productions, projects, and personnel.
- Computer and internet proficiency.
Costume Shop Manager reports to Production Manager and works closely with stage management, designers, and actors.
The successful candidate will have previous industry experience as a costume shop manager or costume shop worker. They will be flexible with the ability to work independently and as part of a team, and will be able to work successfully under pressure and meet deadlines and goals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Costume Shop Manager must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 before beginning work.
Salary is $685 per week. Position includes health insurance. Start date is in January 2022.
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to adrienne.johnson.butler@AmericanShakespeareCenter.com
The American Shakespeare Center values and supports collaboration, inclusion, and work/life balance. Our home in Staunton, Virginia supports these values with a livable, walkable downtown; low cost of living; diverse arts opportunities; easy access to cities like Richmond, Charlotte, and Washington, DC; and abundant outdoor activities in the surrounding Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains.