American Shakespeare Center
Director of Finance and Operations
June 16, 2022
ASC seeks a highly qualified candidate to direct and manage the organization’s finance and operations activities and to develop and implement effective business strategies. A full-time salaried position, the Director of Finance and Operations will be a vital member of the organization’s Management Group and will be responsible for financial management, contracts, insurance programs, information systems, and facilities oversight. ASC seeks an experienced professional with the capacity to hit the ground running and to grow with us.
- Prepares the Operations departmental annual budget
- Oversees the development of the organization’s annual budget in collaboration with the Management Group and the Board Finance Committee for approval by the Board of Trustees
- Works with the Management Group to develop financial plans, strategic plans, and to ensure company-wide operational compliance
- Monitors implementation of the annual budget and variances from budgetary goals and objectives, works with the Management Group to develop strategies to timely respond to budget variances, and timely reports budgetary concerns and variances to the Chair of the Board of Trustees and the Chair of the Finance Committee
- Reports the financial results of all activities of ASC to the Management Group, Finance Committee, and Chair of the Board of Trustees on a monthly basis.
- Approves or delegates approval of all routine monetary expenditures up to a limit designated by the Board of Trustees
- Oversees and prepares timely and accurate materials for the ASC’s annual audit and works with the auditor to timely complete the annual audit
- Reviews existing financial controls and implements changes in response to auditor recommendations and in accordance with acceptable accounting and financial management practices
- Consults with HR Manager on salaries for new hires and with the Management Group and the Board Finance Chair for expenses outside of budgeted amounts
- Manages all vendor relationships, unless otherwise delegated
- In conjunction with the Director of Development, ensures compliance with all sources of funding, including, but not limited to public funding and private grants, and all regulatory requirements
- Creates financial reports for grants
- Oversees the organization’s umbrella, liability, and Director and Officer insurance programs
- Manages rights and licensing for productions as needed
- Supervises Finance Assistant
- Supervises and maintains the tracking and renewing of licensed information systems for the organization’
- In collaboration with the artistic department, negotiates and executes licensing agreements for royalty-based scripts
- Negotiates and approves all non-artistic contracts and leases on behalf of ASC, unless otherwise delegated or limited by the Board of Trustees
- Supervises Operations team including Facilities and Company Manager and Operations Associate
- Renews all licensing for ASC’s platforms including Conga and Patron Manager
- Approves facility repairs and purchases in conjunction with the Facilities and Company Manager
- Defines, implements, and revises operational policies and guidelines for the organization
- Works with the HR Manager to create job descriptions for the operations team, hires competent operations personnel, and oversees employee training
- Report directly to the Board of Trustees
- Salary: $60,000-$63,000, commensurate with experience
- Benefits: subsidized health insurance, generous paid leave policy, access to vision, dental, and life insurance
- Start: Immediate start
The American Shakespeare Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, veteran status, national origin, or disability.
How to apply
Resumes and cover letters may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
About the American Shakespeare Center
American Shakespeare Center illuminates the plays of Shakespeare and his contemporaries, classic and new, refreshing the individual, fostering civil discourse, and creating community in the Blackfriars Playhouse and beyond.
WHO WE ARE
Located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, Virginia’s premiere classical theatre is at once intimate in scale and epic in imagination—creating vital, sophisticated, and accessible seasons built around a company of versatile actors performing in repertory all year round. We are a center for shared discovery by audiences, scholars, and artists of Shakespeare, his contemporaries, and classics old and new.