Duties Expected of First Hand:
- Assist Costume Designer with acquisition and construction of costumes for each production.
- Cuts and sews fabric based on the instruction of the Costume Designer.
- Supervises and instructs Costume Stitchers
- Prepares alterations or construction projects for Costume Stitchers.
- Attends all costume shop meetings.
- Attends costume fittings as needed/requested.
- Instructs additional stitchers on the accurate construction of costume, in tandem with Cutter/Draper.
- Work with Wardrobe Manager to ensure all pieces are labeled correctly with actor initials, show, character as needed.
- Works as liaison between Designer and Costume Shop to maintain artistic intent within the available financial and time resources.
- Complete all final alterations, trims, and corrections by the first public preview of the production.
- Have all costumes, shoes, and accessories ready for the first dress rehearsal of each production, in tandem with Cutter/Draper, as approved by the Designer.
- Cleans and maintains equipment.
- Maintains a safe, healthy and clean work /shop environment.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Reports to the ASC Costume Shop Manager.
- Understanding pattern drafting.
- Understand draping principles and drafting from draping.
- Excellent machine and hand sewing skills.
- Knowledge of other costume machinery including but not limited to irons, sergers, industrial sewing machines, and the grommet punch.
- Knowledge of costume and fashion history.
- Knowledge of fabric types and their uses for stage.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
This is a stipend position with negotiable housing for non-local applicants.
Submit a complete application with cover letter, resume, and design sample or portfolio.
No phone calls or emails, please.