Human Resources Manager
The Human Resources Manager will lead and direct the routine functions of the Human Resources (HR) Department including recruiting and onboarding of staff; administering pay, benefits, and leave; collaborating to maintain a positive company culture; ensuring The American Shakespeare Center’s (ASC) compliance with HR and Payroll law; and enforcing company policies and practices. The Human Resources Manager will be a vital member of the Operations Team and support the Management Group.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Liaison to the Board Personnel Committee.
● Reports to the Director of Finance
● Collaborates with the Management Group as needed/appropriate.
Hiring and Onboarding
● Keeps employee job descriptions and project manuals updated with the cooperation of employees, their supervisors, and the Board Personnel Committee.
● Coordinates the posting of approved open positions to appropriate job engine sites/locations.
● Ensures all job postings are in compliance with federal and state law, including but not limited to the Equal Opportunity Employment Act, and include essential ASC-related information.
● Coordinates the interview process with the appropriate supervisors, appropriate members of the Management Group, and/or Board of Trustees.
● Assures that all employment contracts are in compliance with ASC policies.
● Handles onboarding of new employees, including but not limited to new hire paperwork, insurance selections, and any necessary background checks.
● Works with Operations Manager to handle onboarding of new employees into business email accounts, ASC buildings, and workspaces.
● Reviews and updates the Employee Handbook as necessary and at least on a bi-annual basis with input from the Management Group, the Board Personnel Committee, and/or Board of Trustees.
● Ensures that the Employee handbook is in a form that is easily distributable to all ASC employees.
● Organizes and maintains all personnel files up to date.
● Refines and maintains a system for employee reviews in collaboration with the Board Personnel Committee.
● Schedules and documents personnel reviews with department heads.
● Trains and updates personnel on proper HR procedures.
● Suggests and helps coordinate professional development for staff.
● Helps coordinate events/acknowledgements for Company celebrations, losses, illnesses, and milestones.
● Coordinates with company DEI Officer and the Company Context Liaison to schedule meetings, trainings, and to address employee concerns or complaints.
● Handles disciplinary issues as necessary in compliance with legal requirements, company policy, and within a restorative justice framework to the extent appropriate, and in collaboration with the Management Group, employees who are Board Reports, and the Board of Trustees, as appropriate.
● Schedules and moderates temporary and permanent furlough meetings with corresponding supervisors.
● Maintains exit forms and conducts exit interviews with appropriate supervisors.
● Maintains knowledge of current laws and regulations governing human resources and employee benefits.
● Participates in continuing DEI education.
● Assures all non-exempt employee hours are submitted to the payroll system, approved by their appropriate supervisor, and provides this data to the finance department on a weekly basis.
● Assures that all human resource contracts are consistent with the form of the contracts approved by the Board Personnel Committee and duly executed according to standard business practices.
● Remains up-to-date and ensures ASC compliance with all state and federal payroll laws.
● Collects and maintains new address information for departing employees for future payroll and tax-related correspondence.
● Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
● A minimum of three years of human resource management experience is preferred.
● SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP are highly desired.
● Theater and Actor’s Equity knowledge a bonus.
The HR Manager will be flexible with the ability to work independently and as part of a team, and will be able to work successfully under pressure and meet deadlines and goals. HR Manager must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 before beginning work.
$40,000 annually with competitive leave and benefits. Start date is ASAP.
The American Shakespeare Center values and supports collaboration, teamwork, mutual respect, trust, inclusion, and work/life balance. Our home in Staunton, Virginia supports these values with a livable, walkable downtown; low cost of living; diverse arts opportunities; easy access to cities like Richmond, Charlotte, and Washington, DC; and abundant outdoor activities in the surrounding Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains.
No phone calls or emails, please.Apply