A WHOLE NEW WAY TO EXPERIENCE THEATRE CAMP
Camp is about more than the content of its classes — camp is about the magic that happens when you gather people together, give them a bunch of really good words, and invite their imaginations to run wild.
WE’RE SETTING OUR IMAGINATIONS FREE IN VIRTUAL SPACE FOR THREE WEEKS OF MULTIFACETED, DYNAMIC, RESPONSIVE THEATRICAL EXPLORATION CALLED #SHXCAMP.
While we cannot bring students from around the world to Staunton, Virginia for three weeks of residential mayhem culminating in a final festival of performances in the world’s only recreation of Shakespeare’s indoor theatre, we will bring hearts and minds together to collaborate on creative responses to our current circumstances using some really good words and the entirety of the internet. All we really need to do in order to keep the magic of camp alive this summer is redesign the “room” in which we gather.
Explore #SHXCamp using the tabs above!
THREE WEEKS OF THE IMMERSIVE CAMP EXPERIENCE:
July 12 – August 3, 2020
Applications are open to rising 7th graders through graduated high school seniors (ages 12-18).
Make a Joyful Noise! Using the Body to Release the Voicewith Broadway Sensation Nancy Anderson
- Nancy takes an integrated approach to using the voice on stage. Effective performing as well as proper vocal technique starts with a relaxed and released body. Once you can overcome your tensions and nerves, you will find true freedom in your voice and in your characters. In class, whether speaking or singing, you will learn innovative ways to reveal your true voice using physical movement and effective visualizations. Through careful analysis of your body and how it behaves while speaking and singing you will discover methods specific to your needs that will help you overcome inhibitions to free your voice and fully occupy the stage (or screen)!
Acting 101: Breaking the Legacy with ASC Actor Brandon Carter
- This course is designed to introduce the basic principles and fundamentals of the art and craft of the acting process. Through participation in the creative process and scene study, you will develop a better understanding and appreciation of acting. Participants will gain a greater understanding of acting skills, script and character analysis, and theatre/acting terminology; heighten the powers of observation, focus, invention and imagination; develop a deeper appreciation for the commitment and discipline that acting requires; and learn proper use of the script as a fundamental source of all behavior on stage.
Strength in Stillness: Physical Expression and Presence Onstage (movement coaching) with ASC Actor Michael Mannochio
- A rigorous physical discipline, the Suzuki Method of Actor Training addresses the three challenges of performance that all performers face, regardless of their discipline or where the rest of our technique has come from: center of gravity control, breath calibration, and energy production and focus. To quote a great teacher of mine, Suzuki training “helps you gain perspective into the abilities you have and cultivate those you lack, then effectively translate those abilities into expression.” Cultivating a conscious, fictive, physical presence onstage will be our main focus.
The Other 4th Wall: Audience Engagement and Fundraising
- Audience Engagement and Fundraising explores the world of development and teaches students how to turn a first time visitor into a lifelong donor. In this class, we will break down the donor relationship into three lessons: “Say’ Hello'”, “Getting to Know You”, and “The Art of Making an Ask”. After each lesson, each camper will have the opportunity to take what they learned in the class and create their own elevator pitch and make an ask. The tools you gain from this course go beyond fundraising, this class will help grow your confidence in making a great first impression in any job/ college interview and teach you how to maintain professional networks as you embark on an epic career journey.
“Stay, Illusion!” Adapting Shakespeare to Film
- Join Associate Artistic Director (and camp alum!) Dan Hasse for a masterclass in Shakespeare and filmmaking! In this class, #SHXCampers will film a monologue from their cue-scripts utilizing at least 3 elements that are unique to the cinematic genre.
Write a Play Like Shakespeare!
with ASC Literary Manager Anne Morgan
- How did Shakespeare become so great? Well, he started by putting pen to paper (or, quill to parchment). This elective will use exercises inspired by Shakespeare’s plays to explore the fundamentals of playwriting.
MacGuyver Props: Working with What You’ve Got
with ASC Propmaster Rhi Sanders
- Ever wonder where the fantastical props come from over at the ASC? Sit down with our Props Master and learn the art of prop crafting with all the tools and materials that are hiding in plain sight. We’ll cover typical Shakespeare props, like letters and purses, and talk about some wild secrets behind modern prop creation.
with ASC Guest Designer Victoria Depew
- More information coming soon!
Mock’d with Art: Animating Shakespeare
with ASC Actor Zoe Speas
- Drawing from life confronts you with the challenge of focusing on what you see versus what you THINK you’re seeing. In many ways, this is the same obstacle an actor encounters in performing any role: find and bring to life what is given to you by the playwright in the text, not what you assume about the role by filling in the gaps. By honing the skill of both still-life drawing and freestyle sketching, students are able to experience that subtle difference for themselves—not only training their eyes but their minds. No previous experience with art is required: only a willingness to try, fail, repeat, and get creative.
Marketing Yourself As A Theatre Artist (In A Digital World)
- Alongside ASC’s marketing and sales team, you’ll be introduced to what it’s like to promote yourself as a multi-disciplinary theatre artist in an increasingly online world. Learn about and create a functional professional website for yourself that you can carry forward into your future. Develop a sense of your personal brand, and how to incorporate it into your online and social media presence. You’ll walk away feeling confident in your professional, virtual voice!
SNL: Shakespeare No Lines
with #SHXCamp Improv Coach Esma Eddeb
- Almost like being a cast member of SNL but at least one of your castmates is Shakespeare! Learn how to use the art of improvisation to bring a character to life. Guaranteed lots of weird, crazy fun, with the possible advantage of being funny.
Play On! Music Composition
with #SHXCamp’s Music Virtuosos Chase & Abe
- Campers join Chase and Abe to develop the skills to collaboratively create music for this new digital age. Let’s all be honest, if Shakespeare himself could hear the music we’re about to produce he’d say, “Play On”!
“When You Do Dance”: Dance and Choreography
with #SHXCamp Dance Coach Amy Ippolito
- Campers will learn to be choreographers as well as dancers in this class! We will be able to create pieces in conjunction with the four plays #SHXCamp is working on, as well as learning how to navigate the (sometimes) tedious process of writing down dances!
college credit course
– taught by ASC staff
Offered in partnership with Mary Baldwin University, this course builds on the training participants receive throughout the #SHXCamp experience through the focused exploration and application of the practices employed by modern theatre practitioners in the preparation of early modern texts for performance. Specifically, this course delves into the plays of William Shakespeare and his contemporaries to examine different methodologies for cutting, rearranging, collating, or otherwise manipulating various and variant texts to create different desired narratives in performance — a perfect exploration for this multimedia-enhanced variation of the “normal” camp program.
In partnership with Mary Baldwin University; extra fees apply.